Utilities Unite to Educate and Empower
第二年, 爱游戏官网 (EPE) teams up with 厄尔巴索水 and 德州气体服务 to raise awareness and educate customers on scams through the third annual Utility Scam Awareness Week initiative. Initiated by the Utilities United Against Scams, 或UUAS, the week-long advocacy and awareness campaign focuses on educating customers of the tactics scammers use to steal their money.
“Any scam can be extremely harmful financially to customers, and we find that each year utility scams become more sophisticated, increasingly common and persistent in their tactics,艾迪·古铁雷斯说, EPE Vice President of Strategic Communications, 客户及社区参与. “Part of our core mission in providing safe and reliable sources of power includes empowering customers with the tools necessary to quickly spot and report possible scams.”
骗子通常利用电话, 在线, text and in-person forms of communication to target utility customers. 骗子可以伪装成带电的, water or natural gas company employees, or third-party representatives for a utility, and usually threaten customers with service disconnection if they do not immediately make payment via a prepaid debit card or other non-traceable forms of payment.
"EP Water employees are always in uniform and in utility marked vehicles when they visit your home. We will never demand entrance and we will not ask for your social security number,” said 厄尔巴索水 Vice President of Strategic, Financial and Management Services Marcela Navarrete.
- 断开的威胁: Scammers may aggressively tell the customer his or her utility bill is past due and service will be disconnected if a payment is not made – usually within less than an hour.
- 要求立即付款: Scammers may instruct the customer to purchase a prepaid card – widely available at retail stores – then call them back supposedly to make a bill payment to his or her utility company.
- 预付卡申请: 当客户回电时, the caller asks the customer for the prepaid card’s number, which grants the scammer instant access to the card’s funds, 受害者的钱也不见了.
How 客户 Can Protect Themselves:
- 客户 should never purchase a prepaid card to avoid service disconnection or shutoff. Utilities do not specify how customers should make a bill payment and they offer a variety of ways to pay a bill.
- If someone threatens immediate disconnection or shutoff of service, 顾客应该挂断电话, 删除电子邮件, 或者关上门, and call their utility’s Customer Service Department to inquire about their account.
- If customers suspect someone is trying to scam them, 他们应该挂电话, 删除电子邮件, 或者关上门. They should then call their utility company at the number on their monthly bill or the company’s website, not the phone number the scammer provides. If customers ever feel that they are in physical danger, they should call 911.
德州:(915)543 - 5970
客户 who suspect that they have been victims of fraud, or who feel threatened during contact with one of these scammers, should contact local law enforcement authorities. The Federal Trade Commission’s website is also a good source of information about how to protect personal information.
About Utilities United Against Scams
Utilities United Against Scams is a consortium of over 100 U.S. 和加拿大的电, 水和天然气设施, working together to educate consumers about utility-related scams. 访问 utilitiesunited.org for more information and tips about how to protect yourself from scams or follow along on social media: 推特 @U_U_A_S和 脸谱网 @UtilitiesUnited.